Sunday, July 27, 2008

Meet us in the Kitchen

Hubby and I lived in St. Louis for a year, before we had children. It was great to be in a big city and fun to make new friends. I was a member of the Jr. League when I was there and that was the best Jr. League headquarters that I have been to. It has a restaurant and it is large enough to hold weddings, parties etc. If you ever have thought about joining the Jr. League and you are moving to a new city-this is the best way to meet new people with similar interests as you. I highly recommend it.
I purchased this cookbook, which is one of my favorites. It is very easy to use with yummy recipes. We went to a pool party last week and I was in charge of bringing a vegetable that adults and children could enjoy. So, I made this. It was easy and enjoyed by all. ( I didn't say it was low fat-you could def. use low fat sour cream)



Crunchy Potato Casserole
2 pds. frozen hash brown potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
10 oz. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 cups sour cream

Topping-
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1/4 cup (1/2) stick butter, melted

Combine potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, soup, cheese, butter and sour cream in a large bowl and mix well. Pat into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
For the topping, mix the cornflakes and butter in bowl. Spoon over the potato mixture. Bake, uncovered for 25 minutes.

3 comments:

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

It WAS yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Pink Flamingo said...

That sounds SO good! I will definitely have to give it a try...thanks for sharing.

What Kate Wore said...

This looks *so* good! I printed it out, and may end up using it this weekend for a family gathering. Thanks for posting it!

More importantly, good luck with the Martha folks; we'll cross our fingers for you.
Love the site!
TP