Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Slip and Slide


Last week Hubby and I packed up the little ones for a trip to the beach with my in-laws. Each year we go for a couple of days to see the in laws and my brother in law and sister in law and their daughter. Well, it was raining that day and we left at 8:30 hoping to arrive to the beach (6 hours away) by 3pm, so the children could still enjoy a couple of hours on the beach and Hubby and I could enjoy a much needed cocktail. One hour into our trip and in the middle of nowhere, the car started to hydroplane. It felt like our car had been taken over by aliens. Hubby had no control and knew enough not to slam on the brakes. Glad he was driving-my first reaction would of been to slam on the brakes. Forget anything I learned in driving 101 a million years ago. The next thing I know we are skidding across the highway into the median and then into the other lane. At this moment I thought my life and my families life was over. It was truly terrifying! The children remained calm and I know now that my car seats are properly installed -Thank Goodness. Needless to say we were stuck in the median and had to get towed out! Mud and grass stuck in places I didn't know existed!

As I mentioned we were in the middle of nowhere and at least five people stopped to see if we were ok. It gave us that nice sense of small town where people still care and weren't in that much of a hurry to pass on by!

Once we were towed out and were able to remain in the car while being towed (which Mr.5 thought that was totally awesome), we went to the local Chevrolet Dealership to make sure our journey could continue. Wow what a throw back to the 70's. I can appreciate small towns and things remaining the same, but I am sure glad that I live in a somewhat nice size city. The dealership and the people looked like they had not updated a thing including the decor and their hair!
I tend to have a lead foot and this experience has sure taught me to slow down! Life is too precious and can change at any minute.

2 comments:

PaperCourt said...

Yikes. Glad you're okay.

Steph said...

So glad everyone is OK!
Small towns are something aren't they? I too am glad that I live in a fairly good sized town and very close to a large one!